Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Image of a Dancer: Tawana Alston in her owns works


"Who am I?  I often ask myself the same question.  They call me Tawana Alston.  The applely core of me exists in being Woman, Wife, and Mother of three beauties.  Never before have I truly thought of myself as an artist, but the artistry is woven and intertwined in my heart and head."

Now let’s talk about dance.  My passion for dance began as a child about the age of 5.  I was like most other little girls dreaming of becoming a superstar...Envisioning myself in a classical ballet like Swan Lake.  Thank you mom for helping me connect those early dots.  She put me in studio dance classes.  It was then when I developed the appreciation, but wasn’t ready to go the real disciplined route.   I became an observer of sorts.  It was not until I joined the Ebenezer A.M.E  [Ft. Washington, MD] Dance Ministry that I felt dance in my heart.  It was total reciprocity; Jesus was in and ministry through dance poured out.  At the applely core of me, liturgical and interpretive dance seeds were planted firmly.  But on this journey I found respect for dance as an art form.  Ballet is so necessary…..good discipline! Like Alvin Ailey is to black dance.  Modern and lyrical technique is the dance space that comes natural for me.  You may see inflections of hip-hop in my choreography.  Hip hop takes a shape of its own….steeped in its culture. Young people have it down….as I watch them ticking, locking, popping, jerks/rejerks & choreoing it until the judges say that was the best or that needs work ….Still willing to conquer that New Age stuff though.
My inspiration to dance and choreograph comes from music.  I usually internalize the rhythms and lyrics to to the songs.  I find balance with movements until they take shape.  They help me keep order amid the attention-deficit life of teaching.   The finished product usually tells a story.  But to smooth out the elements of these 2 worlds, I birthed a new baby called Parallel Visions, LLC.  This is my dance company, a place where I can work out this artsy business.  Currently, I am a part of the Production Staff at Renaissance Christian Academy, a freelance dancer, and a choreographer."  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for pouring out a piece of yourself, revealing what makes you "tick" as far as dance. Continue dwelling in the spirit of dance, your spirit, and let the beauty of it radiate throughout the universe touching lives and healing the world. God Bless my sister!

    ReplyDelete