Tuesday, January 18, 2011

She's Making HerStory: Heather Schmaedeke

Heather Schmaedeke always been interested in art and loves being able to completely immerse herself in the art of creation.  "I feel like I have been transported into the work, it’s almost like mediation.  What I enjoy most is visual problem solving; working on the interplay of color, texture and medium in the pursuit of creating something new and unexpected," says Heather.   For Heather, it is important for each piece to have the space it needs to grow organically, and then react to each addition to the piece.  "This allows for a visual dialog between the different elements within the piece, while inviting the viewer to participate in this visceral dialog," she explains.
  
She likes to use a variety of mediums in different combinations.  Her choice of materials is married to the image that she creates.  In her own words, "...the subject matter determines the tools that I use to create each piece.  When I work in my studio, I am reminded of the spontaneity, variety and mystery that is woven into daily life, it is up to me to notice and savor it.  I begin my pieces by unwrapping and examining life’s little nuances and reacting to them as they unfold.  I know that a piece has been successfully completed, when the artwork has become more than just the sum of its parts."

No comments:

Post a Comment