Friday, March 12, 2010

She's Making Herstory: Meet Patricia Steck in her own words

"I paint because I can't remember a time when I didn't.  Painting and drawing is what allows me to express my thoughts, my disappointments, my past and present experiences.  It also gives me the opportunity to engage, perhaps connect with people I'd never meet in an interesting way.  I tend to gravitate to using imagery, double entendre, and metaphor to tell a story in my paintings.

I choose Gouche as my medium because it allows me more freedome with color intensity.  I can lay the colors down dry brush, giving a more flat but funky, rich color...or, wet brush which lets the texture of the paper show through giving the images a dreamy quality the same way traditional watercolor can be used."

*Pat Steck is currently on staff at the Arts and Cultural Heritage Dvision at the Montpelier Arts Center in Laurel, MD.  She holds an Associates Degree from the Maryland College of Art and Design and has worked in the field of graphic design for over 25 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment